Open University of Cyprus accepts applications for up to three positions for Postdoctoral Researchers, Research Assistants, and Developers for employment as part of the 4-year project “WeNet: The Internet of Us”, which is funded under the H2020-FETPROACT call. The project (expected to start in early 2019) will seek to develop a diversity-aware, machine-mediated paradigm of social interaction, exploiting the complementary competencies of humans to solve problems that are beyond the skills of any individual.
Eligible applicants may pursue, in parallel, a Ph.D. degree in research areas relevant to the project. To express interest for this option, applicants should visit https://applications.ouc.ac.cy/admissions?saplanguage=EN and select the research topic “Computational Cognition and Artificial Intelligence”.
The positions will be filled through one-year contracts of employment, renewable for subsequent years subject to adequate performance and project needs. The time commitment of the hired applicants will be 20-40 hours per week, depending on the agreed upon full / part time status of the employment.
Postdoctoral researchers: The gross full-time monthly salary will be €3000 – €3500 (pro rata for parttime), including employer contributions, and will depend on the hired applicant’s qualifications.
Research assistants / developers: The gross full-time monthly salary will be €2000 – €2500 (pro rata for part-time), including employer contributions, and will depend on the hired applicant’s qualifications.
The project does not provide for a 13th month bonus salary, nor for a medical insurance coverage.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The hired applicants will be expected to contribute to the following activities of the project:
- Development of stand-alone programs and smartphone applications.
- Design of novel machine learning algorithms for social relation mining.
- Design of novel knowledge representation and reasoning semantics.
- Participation in project meetings with other members of the consortium.
- Involvement in the preparation of the project reports and deliverables.
- Help with project management tasks and dissemination activities.
- Any other task relevant to the project that will be assigned.
1. University degree in Computer Science or in another field related to the project. (Applicants without a relevant university degree, who study towards acquiring one, will be considered on a case by case basis, based on their academic history and performance until their application submission date.)
2. Applicants wishing to pursue a Ph.D. degree: an M.Sc. degree in Computer Science, preferably with emphasis on Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, or other fields related to the project.
3. Applicants for a postdoctoral researcher position: a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, preferably with emphasis on Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, or other fields related to the project.
4. Documented past experience and / or employment in positions that require excellent organizational skills, management skills, communication skills, adherence to work ethics, punctuality, capability of taking initiatives, commitment to meeting deadlines and completing tasks with little supervision.
5. Very good knowledge of spoken and written English, and ability to contribute to report writing.
6. Evidence of excellent skills as a researcher and / or a developer in line with the project’s aims, which should be well-documented by participation as a researcher and / or a developer in other projects.
7. Availability for physical presence at the Open University of Cyprus premises. (Exceptional cases of applicants with reduced availability for physical presence will be considered on a case by case basis.)
1. Distinctions, awards, research or other publications.
2. Knowledgeable in the design of graphic and interactive interfaces.
3. Knowledgeable in Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning.
4. Knowledgeable in Natural Language Processing (NLP).
5. Knowledgeable in symbolic knowledge representation / reasoning.
6. Availability for participation in other ongoing and future projects.
7. Interest to pursue Ph.D. studies at OUC (for non-Ph.D. holders).
Applicants are asked to submit all of the following in digital form:
1. A brief introductory note (1-2 pages long) explicitly stating, along with a brief justification, how the applicant’s background and experience covers each of the required and additional qualifications.
2. A full biographical note (up to 10 pages), including the names of two people for references.
3. List of research publications, annotated with the contribution of the applicant in each article.
4. Copies of all the degree titles of the applicant, along with the corresponding transcripts.
5. For developers: Documents and / or portfolio that demonstrate experience and involvement of the applicant in code development projects, along with a sample of code developed by the applicant.
6. For researchers: Documents and / or portfolio that demonstrate experience and involvement of the applicant in research projects that relate to the additional qualifications of the applicant.
7. A note that explicitly mentions the availability of the applicant to be physically present at the Open University of Cyprus premises during their employment period.
Applications should be submitted electronically to email@example.com with the subject title “WeNet – Researchers & Developers”, by November 11th, 2018. For more information, candidates may contact Dr. Loizos Michael, OUC’s Principal Investigator of the Project, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Mr. Michalis Savva, OUC’s Research, Innovation and Liaison Officer, at tel. 22411692, email@example.com.